06 December 2007

I'm still the only bee in your bonnet

Here's a re-post from back in March. I've been doing a little housecleaning and realized some YouTube videos I posted were no longer viable links. Anyway, there's some fresh eyes looking at Sellwood Street lately, many of which are also TMBG fans, so here, enjoy some videos you probably forgot about...

(Old post begins here)
While I'm embedding youtube vids, here's some They Might Be Giants videos that always put a stupid grin on my face. 15 years ago, we waited patiently late at night, watching MTV, just hoping they'd play one of these, without the knowledge that in the future we could simply "google" them and watch them at our leisure, and we were the fucking geeks! Just think what the rest of the world was thinking about...


Song lyrics that have become sort of a philosophy for me.
"No one in the world ever gets what they want, and that is beautiful.
Everybody dies frustrated and sad, and that is beautiful."



And this gem, the John's on MTV's 120 Minutes circa 1988 with an awesome performance of my favorite song ever written in 6/8.



This one is an addition to the original post, but I was just thinking about Anne Ng, of the Bangkok Kitchen on Burnside. We never formally met, but when I lived out in Montavilla, I somehow ended up behind you in traffic a lot. Your "Anne Ng" license plate is hard to miss for any TMBG fan. I also lived right up the street from the restaurant, and noticed your car parked there every night. My geeky friends and I would reference this song when ordering the best Massaman curry on the Eastside.



Thanks for geeking out with me.

No comments: